How to Apply
Who can apply
The program is open to high school students who will be entering their junior or senior year in the fall of 2013 (i.e., those who will graduate in 2014 or 2015). Far more students apply for the program than can be accommodated, so we are unfortunately unable to consider applications from freshmen and seniors.
Participants will be selected on the basis of a personal statement, high school coursework and grade point average (GPA), SAT or PSAT scores (if available), and teacher recommendations. Recommendations may come from teachers in any discipline; they need not come from science teachers.
For the Biomedical Science sessions, applicants will also be evaluated on the strength of their preparation in the biological and chemical sciences.
How to apply
- An online application form
- A personal statement, totaling no more than 1000 words and submitted as part of the online form, addressing one of the following topics:
- Describe a person or pivotal event that helped define your interest in science.
- Tell us about something that stimulates your curiosity. Where has your curiosity led you?
- High school transcript (unofficial photocopy is acceptable)
- Courses in progress and semester grades (if not included on transcript)
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher. Although letters from science teachers are preferred, they are not required.
Send application materials to:
Dr. Kaci Thompson, Director
Jump Start Program
1313 Symons Hall
College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
The online application form must be submitted and all supporting materials postmarkedby March15, 2013. Applicants will be notified of the admissions committee's decision shortly after April 15, 2013.